lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Miles Barr <mi...@magpie.net>
Subject Re: Limit number of search results
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:11:49 GMT
headhunter wrote:

>I guess the recommended way to implement paging of results is to do your own
>query-results caching, right? Or does lucene also do this for me?

The other guys have covered caching of results in a general way, so I
won't go into that.

For a search application I've written I have a separate class that acts
as the model for a search. Basically it allows you to say how many
results you want per page, and set the page number. Then you can have it
spit out some XML for the results that should be visible, this includes
title, search summary, link, etc. Similarly it can provide the necessary
information to generate pagination links.

This object holds the reference to the Hits object, and is kept around
for the duration of that user session. So I do cache the results and
hence only execute the search once, but this is more as a consequence of
how I modelled the interaction rather than a desire to cache.

Miles