lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <>
Subject Re: Where to find drill-down examples (source code)
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:04:59 GMT
Ken Krugler wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I want to realize a drill-down Function aka "narrow search" aka "refine
>> search".
>> I want to have something like:
>> Refine by Date:
>> * 1990-2000 (30 Docs)
>> * 2001-2003 (200 Docs)
>> * 2004-2006 (10 Docs)
>> But not only DateRanges but also for other Categories.
>> What I have found in the List-Archives so far is that I have to  use
>> Filters for my search.
>> Does anybody knows where to find some Source Code, to get an Idea how to
>> implement this?
> One example (I think) is:

> -- Ken
from the lucene wiki:

Can Lucene do a "search within search", so that the second search is
constrained by the results of the first query?

Yes. There are two primary options:

      Use QueryFilter with the previous query as the filter. (you can
search the mailing list archives for QueryFilter and Doug Cutting's
recommendations against using it for this purpose)

      Combine the previous query with the current query using
BooleanQuery, using the previous query as required.

The BooleanQuery approach is the recommended one.

seems to me that simply adding your drilled down query part to the
previous query with a BooleanQuery should do the trick.

- mark

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message