lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: query for search through lucene for BLOB
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:21:19 GMT
Hi Sudarshan,

When your question is Java usage related, you will almost certainly get
better responses by asking just on the Java User list.  Oddly enough,
hitting all of the mailing lists for the project at once with the same
question is likely to *reduce* your chances of getting polite/on-topic

To index PDF files, you need to first extract their content, and Lucene
does not do this for you.  Here is the Lucene FAQ entry on the topic:

<http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-c45f8b25d786f4e384936fa93ce1137a23b7e422>

Chapter 7 of the excellent book Lucene in Action
<http://lucenebook.com/> also covers this topic.

Once you have extracted the text for a document, you'll want to store a
key for the document in a separate field in your Lucene index.  Then
when you have hits from a search, you'll be able to use the DB key to
retrieve the PDF blob from Oracle, then maybe save the it to a temp file
and start Adobe Reader to display the doc(s).  Or something like that.

Steve