lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Volodymyr Bychkoviak <vbychkov...@i-hypergrid.com>
Subject Re: Indexing very slow.
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 09:43:03 GMT
Problem is hidden in these lines:
 >       writer.optimize();
 >       writer.close();

You should keep one index writer open for all document additions and
close it only after adding last document.

Optimize() merges all index segments to single segment and as index
grows it takes longer and longer. Optimizing has no impact on indexing
so it should be performed once at the end of indexing to optimize index
for searching.