lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Olenin" <VOle...@cihi.ca>
Subject RE: Lucene-In-Action book - any details?..
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:48:55 GMT
Thanks, Eric.

Vlad

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 11:45 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lucene-In-Action book - any details?..

Vlad,

You're right - LIA 1st edition was written for Lucene 1.4.x.  All of the
code works fine with Lucene 1.9 (with deprecation warnings that can be
safely ignored), but documented tweaks are necessary to get the LIA code
to compile with Lucene 2.0.

The coverage of the basics and architecture is still current and
relevant, as well as algorithms, techniques, functionality, and for the
most part the API as well.  There are some new features in 1.9/2.0 that,
of course, are not covered (if only I had that time machine handy).
Otis and I are in the planning stages of the 2nd edition, the calm
before the storm.  The 2nd edition should see the light of day by the
end of the year, or perhaps in early '07 - that is the best clarity I
get from the crystal ball today.

Overall I think those new to Lucene will benefit from Lucene in Action
1st edition, and add to that reading Lucene 2.0 CHANGES.txt to catch up
on API tweaks and new features.

	Erik