lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Filter updating
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:53:49 GMT
Of course, another approach doesn't occur to me until the weekend..... But,
even if building a filter is a time-consuming process, you could always
build them as a warm-up when your searcher starts, and cache them *then*.
That way, the user doesn't see a long pause when the filter is built the
first time and you also don't have updating issues. I guess you'd do this by
firing a few carefully-selected queries at your engine upon startup and
using a CachingWrapperFilter (?).... I believe Solr uses something similar.
Of course, you want to keep your IndexReader open as long as possible, which
you want to do anyway....

FWIW
Erick