lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Empty fields ...
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:08:13 GMT
Chris:

Thanks much for that clarification, it helps a lot. The original request was
to find docs wthat were NOT NULL, so  I'm glad I'm not the only one who
remembers things...er...incongruently with reality <G>....

About empty values for a field. That'll teach me to try to remember without
looking back. I vaguely remember that "" had an "interesting" meaning in
some circumstance. Looking back, it was exactly what you said, wrapping a
TermDocs in a TermEnum....

But with your RangeFilter comment, that seems unnecessary. You can use a
RangeFilter with null, null as bounds, then just flip the bits in the
resulting bitset, right? Or, for that matter, if you know a-priori the
minimum and maximum possible values for a field, just make the RangeFilter
with those values and it's all done in one line of code. So somebody else
has already done all the work. Now if users like me would just read the
documentation.......

That way, the code created by experts worries about efficiency <G>.

Thanks again
Erick