lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: modify existing non-indexed field
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:48:41 GMT
I don't think you've done anything to the index. This code is really
equivalent to something like

Field field = hits.doc(i).getField('address");
field.set("11 Diana Street");

You've changed the value of the field instance, but that is essentially a
local variable (even though not explicit in your original snippet).

It's been discussed often that Lucene doesn't allow in-place modifications
of a document, you have to drop and re-add it. If your snippet worked, it'd
allow in-place modifications and I'd be surprised if the experts knew that
but never mentioned it to us common folk <G>.....

Of course I've been totally wrong before....

Best
Erick