lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Index empty fields
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:40:17 GMT
Hi Simon,

If you want to be able to run a "give me all documents that have an empty field F", then you'll
actually have to stuff a "dummy" value when no real value for field F is present.  If you
have an index schema, perhaps that's a good place to add a 'defaultValue'-type attribute with
that dummy value.  Perhaps Solr already has something like this, I'm not sure.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Simon Willnauer <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 8:22:57 AM
Subject: Index empty fields

Hello,

I do have a question about fields with empty content should be added
to the document / index or not. I do have a index schema, which
defines all field a document can have. if one of the real documents
has no content for a certain field. should that field be added to the
index or not.
Would it make any difference at all?

regards Simon