lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Search
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:51:31 GMT
I think we have an RMI example in Lucene in Action.
You could also look at how Nutch does it.  I think the code is in org.apache.nutch.ipc package.
I'm not sure why cross-platform requirement rules out Solr, I would think it would exactly
the opposite.
As for 10m limit, it depends.  It depends on the actual size of the index (indexed fields),
complexity of queries, required query latency, the hardware you throw at it, etc.  So you
can't really say 10m is the limit.  You might have gotten that number from some of the older
Nutch docs/presentations, which means they are a few years old now and are Nutch-specific.

Clustering and failover and "easily" don't really go together, in my experience, and this
is not limited to Luceneland. :(
I'd love to be wrong about this, but it seems clustering/failover/HA stuff + Lucene always
ends up being a custom and propriatory job.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 5:45:52 PM
Subject: Distributed Search

I know there has been a lot of discussion on distributed search...I am
looking for a cross platform solution, which seems to kill solr's
approach...Everyone seems to have implemented this, but only as
proprietary code...it would seem that just using the RMI searcher would
allow a simple solution? Is this the case? Could you easily provide
clustering and fail over using a variety of indexes and searching them
all with RMI searcher? Is it all really that complicated? I have read
that Lucene tops out at about 10m docs for a single server...I want to
hit 100m. I have a beautiful app that allows realtime updating/searching
(updates are rare but should be instant)...and I just want it to scale
up to 100m docs or so . Is that going to be an really advanced project
no matter how I slice it? I have done a lot of custom work with the
lucene stuff so it would seem difficult to adapt it to Nutch (but what
do I know Nutch) ... I have seen a lot of talk but not much on a simple
RMI searcher solution...any idea?

- Mark