lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Newbie synonyms question
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:19:23 GMT
Hi Andrew,

There is othing built into Lucene for synonyms, but you can grab the code from Lucene in Action
to see how they can be handled (plus: http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=synonyms for
some context)

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: "Lee, Andrew J (CA - Toronto)" <andrlee@deloitte.ca>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 8:52:10 PM
Subject: Newbie synonyms question

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but it is regarding

synonyms.

I am using the WordNet/Synonyms index and using the following algorithm

to create synonym searches (this is a dumbed down version):

Look up a the "base" word in the synonym index

In my search string, replace all instances of the base word with

"(synonym1 | synonym 2 | ... | synonym n)"

Use this new search string against my search index

1)  Is there an easier / more efficient way to go about this?

2)  Does Lucene have any built-in capability to handle synonyms?  For

example, can I point it to the synonym index and let Lucene perform all

the work of synonym lookup / replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Lee

*******************

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are

intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are

confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended

recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,

conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this

message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by

return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from

your system. Thank you.

Information confidentielle: Le présent message, ainsi que tout

fichier qui y est joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de

son ou de ses destinataires; il est de nature confidentielle et

peut constituer une information privilégiée. Nous avertissons

toute personne autre que le destinataire prévu que tout examen,

réacheminement, impression, copie, distribution ou autre

utilisation de ce message et de tout fichier qui y est joint est

strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu,

veuillez en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de

courriel et supprimer ce message et tout document joint de votre

système. Merci.