lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From vasu shah <vasusha...@yahoo.com>
Subject How reliable is lucene indexing !!
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:44:14 GMT
Hello Everyone,

We have an application and the current search is taking lot of time to return the results.
We are doing a search against 8-9 database tables and 1.5 million records.

I want to increase the search speed and thinking of implementing lucene search. I went through
the documentation and lucene seems promising for my application.

I have few doubts and would like to have some more insight on following points.

1. The application has around 150 users and they create all together 4000 inserts/updates
in one day. I think of creating an index for 1.5 million records initially and then allow
the inserts/updates to the index. The index size will approximately increase by 4000 records
per day.
Is lucene good for the application? Is it suitable for frequent inserts/updates?

2. The index has to be in sync with the database. Whenever  the user inserts/updates a record
in the database, the index also needs to be updated accordingly. How do I handle the situation
in where some process created write.lock/commit.lock and something went wrong and the lock
files are still there. What would be the best practice/approach to handle this scenario?

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Vasu