lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Berkeley DB JEDirectory Performance
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:10:05 GMT
Thanks Jo.  You may want to look for Andi Vajda's email with performance numbers, too.  I think
he did send them out when he first contributed DbDirectory, and I don't recall the numbers
being this bad.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Johannes Christen <j.christen@insiders.de>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2006 11:06:45 AM
Subject: Berkeley DB JEDirectory Performance

Hi all.

I just want to share my experience with the Berkeley DB JEDirectory
implementation from the contrib. area. I spend two days evaluating and
testing it and found out that it does work, but has very bad performance
and very high disk requirements for medium size document volume.

I indexed about 78000 documents (DPA news items) in the FSDirectory and
the JEDirectory, and here are the results:

Disk usage (index size):
FSDirectory: 322 MB
JEDirectory: 4650 MB

Indexing Performance:
FSDirectory: 84 minutes
JEDirectory: 402 minutes

Searching:
Initial opening of the JEDirectory took about 45 minutes.
The searching itself was ok, but still about 1.5 times slower than with
the FSDirectory.

Ok. I hope than helped people who consider using the Berkeley DB
directory implementation in their application. It may do a good job if
you want to use transactions in small environments, but if the amount of
documents is getting big I wouldn't recommend the JEDirectory
implementation.

Bye for now

    Jo Christen