lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From karl wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How reliable is lucene indexing !!
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 02:04:52 GMT
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 14:44 -0700, vasu shah wrote:

> I have few doubts

> The index size will approximately increase by 4000 records per
> day. Is lucene good for the application?

Sure.

>  Is it suitable for frequent inserts/updates?

Sure, but I don't consider 4000 new documents per day to be frequent.

> 2. The index has to be in sync with the database. Whenever the user
> inserts/updates a record in the database, the index also needs to be
> updated accordingly.

> What would be the best practice/approach to handle this scenario?

Create an IndexWriter or Reader at commit-time and do the same changes
you did to the database. In case of update remove the index document and
create it again.

> How do I handle the situation in where some process created
> write.lock/commit.lock and something went wrong and the lock files are
> still there.

You probably get locks due to bad use of readers and writers. Without
looking at the code you will only get abstract hints, so show us the
essence of what you are doing.