lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From digby <li...@digby.net>
Subject Re: searching in more than fields on document
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:26:26 GMT
Basically, I've got a small app which allows me to update fields in
bunch of mysql tables using Hibernate. As I save each bean, I'm want to
add it to the lucene index aswell. However, I want the app to be as
generic as possible and at the moment it doesn't care what the bean is,
as long as there's a hibernate mapping, it will understand what to do.

When the user is searching for the bean, I want them to be able to
search over all the fields, but a) there will be lots of beans in the
index with many different fields (so I can't know which ones to search
for), and b) the user won't necessarily know the field names (so they
can't specify them).

Having said that, I've just realised I could loop through all the
properties defined in the hibernate mapping document and build up a
MultiFieldQueryParser, but just concatenating all the bean's properties
into a single field still seems like the easiest option (as well as
having the proper fields so they can search if they know the field name).

Digby