lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Monsur Hossain" <mons...@gmail.com>
Subject Changing the MergeFactor - should I reindex?
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:39:27 GMT
I have a system of 2 servers, one to index and one to search.  The
index server updates the Lucene index and then copies the 200 meg
index over to the search server.  Originally, the index server would
optimize the index before copying.  To improve performance, I stopped
optimizing, dropped the mergefactor down to 2, and then copied only
the changed segments to the search server (most of the runtime was
taken up optimizing and copying the index; this change dropped the
runtime from 2 minutes down to 2 seconds!).

After switching to this system, I've noticed that the .del file for
the original 200 meg segment is growing pretty large (I'm updating
every 2 minutes, and there are always some deletions/additions).

My question is this: Am I fine letting this .del file grow, or should
I reindex the entire index with a mergefactor of 2 (to better
distribute the deletions)?

Monsur