lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: reversing porter stemming
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:25:17 GMT
On 6/16/06, zzzzz shalev <zzzzz_shalev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> is it possible to take a stemmed token from as index and run some sort of reverse porter
stemming to get a logical word, the problem is that porter stemming is very aggressive, for
example: people is indexed as peopl , so basically my quesion is

>   if i have peoples , people, both indexed as peopl, is there a way to go from peopl
-> people (retrieving the root word would be fine)

Interesting question... I assume this is so you can do something like
retrieve the top terms for a field and have it more readable by an
end-user?

I don't think there is a way built into Lucene, but you could get
mostly there by keeping a reverse mapping yourself.  Run a dictionary
of common words through the stemmer and keep track of what word
generated the stemmed word.

-Yonik