lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Custom ScoreDocComparator and normalized Scores
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:14:55 GMT

: Thanks Chris, I didn't know the "solr" package, it is not in the release
: distribution, isn't? I'm going to read about it to see if it matchs our
: needs.

Solr is a seperate (incubation) project, that builds on top of Lucene, but
the FunctionQuery classes have no dependencies outside of the Lucene core.

: Our Score = x . LuceneScore + y . SomeField + z . SomeOtherField + w .
: YetAnotherField
:
: Being x, y, z and w our coeffiecients or "scaling factors" in our
: ranking function.

The thing to watch out for is that Normalizing Lucene scores isn't very
"clean" in a mathematical sense, you can asume that a score value of X
when searching for "foo" emans the match is as good as a score of X when
searching for "bar"

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-912c1f237bb00259185353182948e5935f0c2f03

The FunctionQuery stuff may make more sense for you, it lets you inject
your function right into the lucene score.

-Hoss