lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject RE: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:43:29 GMT

: Incidentally, I'm getting BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses when I search on
: "james", but I don't when I search on "James". Surely  the number of clauses
: isn't dependent on the number of hits?!

not the numebr of hits -- just hte number of terms in your index that
start with the prefix.

: However, I know that "fred" is relatively uncommon in my index and "neil" is
: relatively common and yet "fred" is getting the BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses
: and "neil" isn't. Does that make sense?
: Should the actual term used in a PrefixQuery effect the number of clauses?

yes .. the Term used in the PrefixQUery is just a convinient holder for a
fieldname and a term value prefix -- what matters is how many terms in
that field start with that prefix.  if "james*" causes a problem, but
"James*" doesn't then it sounds like your indexing analyzer is case
sensative and you have a lot more lowercase values starting with james
then upercase values starting with James .. if "fred*" causes a problem
but "neil*" doesn't then you probably have a lot more terms that start
with "fred" then you do that start with "neil" -- it doesn't matter if
"neil@foo" is the value more documents then the total number of docs that
contain any value starting with "fred", what matters is how many unique
values there are starting with "fred"

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message