lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Adding Fields to Documents with UnStored Fields - crazy scheme?
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:10:48 GMT

: 2. Recreating the index from scratch will require the moving of the
: heavens and the earth.
:
: My crazy idea - can we add new Documents to the index with the Fields
: we wish to add, and duplicate file IDs? i.e. an entry for file ID Foo
: would consist of two Documents,
: Document X: fileID:<Foo>, contents:<unknown>
: Document Y:fileID:<Foo>, title:<Bar>, url:<www.baz.com>, etc.
:
: It would be no problem to implement different Searcher objects to
: look at specific Fields, we were already leaning in that direction
: anyhow.

you certainly could do that .. but what exactly would the point be? ..
presumably you currently query for "contents:germany" and get back the
fileIDs of files that contain the work germany in their contents -- if you
add another document with the same fileID and a title field and a url
field, and you search for "contents:germany" you're still going to get
back the same document -- it's not going to magically have the other
fields in it just because they have the same fileID.

I supose you could do the search on contents, get back the fileIDs and
*then* do another search for those fileIDs to get back the titles and urls
... but i can't imagine earth and the heavens are that hard to move that
you'd want to jump through that hoop on every search.

(if you're goingto add these new documents with the title and url and all
that -- why can't you add the contents atthe same time ... are the
contents stored someplace else that you no longer have access to - but you
do have access to all the other fields???)

-Hoss