lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Browse Functionality
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:03:24 GMT

Generally the best approach for restricting what results a person sees is
with a Filter ... if you do this, then you can get a BitSet from the
Filter which tells you everything they are allowed to see, if you then
also build a BitSet for each of the Terms you wantto "browse" by (again:
a Filter can help you with this), the size of the intersection of those
two BitSets will give you the number you want.

this is frequenctly refered to as "facet counts" "faceted searching"
and "category counts" ... you might find more info in the archives using
those search terms.