lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bob Arens <li...@absent-error.net>
Subject Re: Adding Fields to Documents with UnStored Fields - crazy scheme?
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:21:15 GMT

> If the old index is optimized then you might be able to iterate
> through
> all the docs in your old index (sorted by doc id) and for each
> iteration
> add the corresponding doc to the new index so it has a matching doc
> id.
> The idea being that after searching on one index you could use the doc
> id to look up the corresponding doc in the other index.

True - it would be like using Lucene as a thin relational DB.
However, I don't want to just be able to associate the new fields
with the old, I also want to be able to search over them.

Right now, I'm thinking of rolling a custom MultiSearcher that
operates over two indices containing identical fileIDs, and returns
the set intersection of fileIDs returned from their respective
searches; i.e. a search for "contents:germany title:medicine" would
get the fileIDs containing "germany" in the contents index, the
fileIDs containing "medicine" in the new index, find the fileIDs in
both sets of hits, and return them.