lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcus Falck" <marcus.fa...@observer.se>
Subject Modifying the stored norm type
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:02:36 GMT
Hi again,

After a lot of debugging and some API doc reading I have come to the
conclusion that the static encodeNorm method of the Similarity class
will encode my boost value into a single byte decimal number.

And I will loose a lot of resolution and will get severe rounding
errors.

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

Since I need the exact float value as boost representation this isn't
good enough in my case.

So I guess I will have to get lucene to store a 4 byte norm in the form
of a float instead of the single byte?

Is this do able or is it just madness? And will it slow the search
timings down or will it just eat more memory?

Again the alternative is spending 0.8 million $ on fast.

/

Regards

Marcus