lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bob Arens <li...@absent-error.net>
Subject Adding Fields to Documents with UnStored Fields - crazy scheme?
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:42:59 GMT
Hi,

I've been handed a legacy index containing Documents with two Fields;
one is a file ID, the other is contents of the file. The contents
field was added using UnStored. Now, we want to add fields. Oh, the
humanity!

I've looked through the archives, and previously suggested methods
won't work well for us.
1. Recreating with Luke is infeasible, as our index is 1.8 Gigabytes
in size.
2. Recreating the index from scratch will require the moving of the
heavens and the earth.

My crazy idea - can we add new Documents to the index with the Fields
we wish to add, and duplicate file IDs? i.e. an entry for file ID Foo
would consist of two Documents,
Document X: fileID:<Foo>, contents:<unknown>
Document Y:fileID:<Foo>, title:<Bar>, url:<www.baz.com>, etc.

It would be no problem to implement different Searcher objects to
look at specific Fields, we were already leaning in that direction
anyhow.

So - is this scheme crazy enough to work? Thanks for your thoughts,
Bob