lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin Braun <mbr...@uni-hd.de>
Subject Re: Searching is taking a lot...
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 07:47:06 GMT
Hi chris,
> searching everytime using a new searcher was taking time. So For testing, i
> made it a static one and reused the same. This gave me a lot of
> improvement.
> Previously my query was taking approx 25 sec. But now most of the queries
> are taking time between the 100 and 800 ms.

Do you use a kind of sorting? I had this issue with SortField.STRING, it
takes a lot of time and memory to build the sort cache of all terms in
the field (of type String). So if the searcher needs to rebuild this
with each query it takes a while...

hth,
martin

> Here also i noticed that the query is taking time only first time. If you
> fire the same query again it takes very very less.
> Can anybody tell me the story behibd this.
>
> With Regards.........
>
> On 6/26/06, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
>>

>> : Can you provide some information on your setup?  How are you indexing
>> : and searching?  Do you have a lot of terms in your query, etc?  Have
>> you
>> : done any profiling of your setup to determine where the bottlenecks
>> : are?   Are you sure they are in Lucene?
>>
>> what methods are you using for doing the search? (Hits, HitCollector,
>> TopDocs)  are you sorting?   are you opening a new IndexSearcher for each
>> searcher?  what exactly are you timing (a single "search" method call, an
>> iteration over every matching doc id? an iteration over every matching
>> doc
>> to get a stored field?)
>>
>> :
>> : -Grant
>> :
>> : heritrix.lucene wrote:
>> : > Hi,
>> : > I have created an index of 47 Million documents.
>> : > I have 1.28GB RAM.
>> : > When i am doing a search over this index it is taking on average 25
>> : > sec. Is
>> : > there a way so that i can get results in part of a second...
>> : > I hope there must be some ways..
>> : >
>> : > Thanks and regards..
>> : >
>> :
>> : --
>> :
>> : Grant Ingersoll
>> : Sr. Software Engineer
>> : Center for Natural Language Processing
>> : Syracuse University
>> : School of Information Studies
>> : 335 Hinds Hall
>> : Syracuse, NY 13244
>> :
>> : http://www.cnlp.org
>> : Voice:  315-443-5484
>> : Fax: 315-443-6886
>> :
>> :
>> : For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
>> :
>>

>> -Hoss

Universitaetsbibliothek Heidelberg   Tel: +49 6221 54-2580
Ploeck 107-109, D-69117 Heidelberg   Fax: +49 6221 54-2623