lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin Braun <mbr...@uni-hd.de>
Subject Re: Search within multiple different subfolders
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:36:52 GMT
hi,

> I'm hardly the lucene expert, but I don't think you can search just a
> portion of the index. But that's effectively what you're doing if you
> restrict the search to "son and.....".
I think there is also the possibility to write a custom search filter
(org.apache.lucene.search.Filter), and to build a bitset with a special
field providing the information from which dir the file comes from.

But I am wondering which is the better solution according to performance?

> But I also have to ask, why are you trying to "search only a portion of the
> index"? If you haven't encountered a bottleneck that's forcing you into

Perhaps for privacy reasons? that only specific users should be able to
search the whole index.
Is  there a best practice approach to realize this?

thx,
martin

--
Universitaetsbibliothek Heidelberg   Tel: +49 6221 54-2580
Ploeck 107-109, D-69117 Heidelberg   Fax: +49 6221 54-2623