lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: indexing emails
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:59:12 GMT
Michael J. Prichard wrote:
> We are actually grabbing emails by becoming part of the SMTP stream.
> This part is figured out and we have archived over 600k emails into a
> mysql database.  The problem is that since we currently store the
> blobs in the DB this databases are getting large and searching takes
> plenty of time.  We want to convert the searching to lucene to add
> more advanced features.

In which case, javamail is your friend.

> Can I have multiple "to", "from" and "bcc" fields?
Yes.   And it's definitely worth your while to study not only javamail
but the MIME RFCs (RFC2047 deals with headers, a nearby one deals with
the main MIME format, I forget the number) and RFC2822 for the base mail
format -- understanding the structure of a mail message is more than
half the battle to knowing how to index it.

jch