lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Curtin" <m...@curtin.com>
Subject Re: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:18:22 GMT
Rob Staveley (Tom) wrote:

> I guess the most expensive thing I'm doing from the perspective of Boolean
> clauses is heavily using PrefixQuery.
>
> I want my user to be able to find e-mail to, cc or from james@anydomain, so
> I opted for PrefixQuery on James. Bearing in mind that this is causing me
> grief with BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on my MultiSearcher, is there a
> smarter approach that I should be adopting?

I don't know about "smarter", but it seems like separating (parsing) out the
username from the hostname in the email addresses, into separate fields at
index time, would get you want you want.  If you want documents to, cc, or
from "james" from any domain, then the query
	"touser:james ccuser:james fromuser:james"
would work.  If you were looking for a specific sender at a specific site,
then the query
	"+fromuser:james +fromhost:foo.com"
would work.

Good luck!