lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter.addIndexes & optimization
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:05:49 GMT
Benjamin Stein wrote:

> I could probably store the little RAMDirectories to disk as many
> FSDirectories, and then addIndexes() of *all* the FSDirectories at the end
> instead of every time.  That would probably be smart.
>
> Glad I asked myself!

That was what I was going to suggest - you may also want to benchmark to
see if the RAMDirectory is buying you anything.  With the data that I am
indexing on my hardware, I found it to be faster to index to a regular
FSDirectory that it is to use the RAMDirectory.  Especially if you tweak
the performance knobs on the indexer so it does its own caching before
it writes to the Directory.

I do batches of documents to FSDirectories - and then merge all of the
FSDirectories into a new master index at the end - so I never have to
optimize during the indexing process.

Dan