lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Find out which field of document matched the query
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:59:21 GMT
Frank Kunemann wrote:
> Hi lucene users,
>
> just wanted to know if there is a simple way to find out which field(s) of a
> document matched the query.
> In our case we have different content fields and the user can choose whether
> he wants to search in all of them or just in one.
> To keep the index as small as possible we don't store those fields. So when
> highlighting we need to load the original files instead of just using the
> document values. To optimize this a bit it would be cool to just load the
> files that had hits instead of all of them.

One method might be using the explain method on the Weight interface to
get an Explanation object, but I'm not sure how many semantics the
explanation carries.  It will certainly tell you which branches of your
query resulted in the the document matching, and if you're using a
simple BooleanQuery to perform this multiple field matching, then that
may be enough.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll