lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Null field values
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:54:55 GMT
There is no requirement that every document contain values for every field.
Doc A could have fields z, y, x, and Doc B could have fields x, w, v. So,
when you say "some of the values are being returned as null", do you mean
that you *never* get any values for some field or you get values for a field
for some, but not all documents?

You might try using Luke to look at the specific document that's giving you
problems and see if it has values for all fields. You can enter the document
ID (i.e. Lucene's internal doc.id()) in the search field and examine the
actual doc (sorry if you know that already <G>). I think it's the second
tab, titled "document..."

If you never get values for some field that Luke shows is in the index, the
first place I'd look is whether have the field name correctly entere
(including case).

Hope this helps
Erick