lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Changing the MergeFactor - should I reindex?
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:02:31 GMT
Hi Monsur,

You don't need to reindex everything after changing merge factor.  As for growing the .del
file, I believe the .del file simply keeps track of documents that have been deleted (and
should thus not show up in search results).  Thus, I think you can let the file grow, although
at some point it may make sense to optimize everything - I'm not sure how much reader.isDeleted(docNum)
calls affect performance when the number of documents gets large.... but you'll find out :)
 And when you do, all you'll need to do is optimize the index on the indexing server and push
it to the search server.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Monsur Hossain <monsurh@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:39:27 PM
Subject: Changing the MergeFactor - should I reindex?

I have a system of 2 servers, one to index and one to search.  The
index server updates the Lucene index and then copies the 200 meg
index over to the search server.  Originally, the index server would
optimize the index before copying.  To improve performance, I stopped
optimizing, dropped the mergefactor down to 2, and then copied only
the changed segments to the search server (most of the runtime was
taken up optimizing and copying the index; this change dropped the
runtime from 2 minutes down to 2 seconds!).

After switching to this system, I've noticed that the .del file for
the original 200 meg segment is growing pretty large (I'm updating
every 2 minutes, and there are always some deletions/additions).

My question is this: Am I fine letting this .del file grow, or should
I reindex the entire index with a mergefactor of 2 (to better
distribute the deletions)?

Monsur