lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: addIndexes() is taking infinite time ...
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:42:49 GMT
If you can tell how many indices you've merged, you must be mering them one at a time, and
the pre and post merge optimize() calls are costing you.

Also, that maxBufferedDocs looks pretty low.  Unless you are working with very large documents
and small heap, you should be able to bump that up much higher.  I've used 10,000+ in some
cases.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: heritrix.lucene <heritrix.lucene@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:07:19 AM
Subject: addIndexes() is taking infinite time ...

Hi all,
I had five different indexes:
1 having 15469008 documents
2 having 7734504 documents
3 having 7734504 documents
4 having 7734504 documents
5 having 7734504 documents
Which sums to 46407024.
The constant values are
maxMergeFactor = 1000
maxBufferedDocs = 1000

I wrote a simple program which uses the addIndex method for adding indexes.
It has been more then 32 hours adding the indexes. My logs say upto now it
has finished only first two indexes. It is adding the third one.
I want to know what exactly happens while merging the indexes?? Why this
time grows exponentially ????
Can anybody explain this in brief.

Thanks in advance..
With Regards