lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rob Staveley (Tom)" <rstave...@seseit.com>
Subject RE: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:46:59 GMT
The penny drops. Thank you so much for your time, Chris :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_lucene@fucit.org]
Sent: 15 June 2006 18:43
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher

: Incidentally, I'm getting BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses when I search on
: "james", but I don't when I search on "James". Surely  the number of
clauses
: isn't dependent on the number of hits?!

not the numebr of hits -- just hte number of terms in your index that start
with the prefix.

: However, I know that "fred" is relatively uncommon in my index and "neil"
is
: relatively common and yet "fred" is getting the
BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses
: and "neil" isn't. Does that make sense?
:
: Should the actual term used in a PrefixQuery effect the number of clauses?

yes .. the Term used in the PrefixQUery is just a convinient holder for a
fieldname and a term value prefix -- what matters is how many terms in that
field start with that prefix.  if "james*" causes a problem, but "James*"
doesn't then it sounds like your indexing analyzer is case sensative and you
have a lot more lowercase values starting with james then upercase values
starting with James .. if "fred*" causes a problem but "neil*" doesn't then
you probably have a lot more terms that start with "fred" then you do that
start with "neil" -- it doesn't matter if "neil@foo" is the value more
documents then the total number of docs that contain any value starting with
"fred", what matters is how many unique values there are starting with
"fred"

-Hoss