lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:16:22 GMT
Did not check it, but  solr is using SkippingFilter which is not yet commited in Lucene...
so this will maybe not work?

By the way, any reason today not to commit SkippingFilter to Lucene?  I actually see nothing
to do for this, but to commit existing SkippingFilter. If there is something I do not mind
to spend a few hours to help

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, 15 June, 2006 5:49:42 PM
Subject: RE: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher

: I guess the most expensive thing I'm doing from the perspective of Boolean
: clauses is heavily using PrefixQuery.
:
: I want my user to be able to find e-mail to, cc or from james@anydomain, so
: I opted for PrefixQuery on James. Bearing in mind that this is causing me
: grief with BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on my MultiSearcher, is there a
: smarter approach that I should be adopting?

if the only reason you are using a PrefixQuery is so that searchinging for
"james" matches "james@domain.com" then i think MDC is right, split that
field up (or have one field, but put three terms in "james", "domain.com"
and "james@domain.com") .. but if you genuinely need flexible PrefixQuery
support, you may want to look at the ConstantScorePrefixQuery in Solr ...
there's nothing Solr specific about it, so you could drop it into your
Lucene installation.  I'm not entirely sure how well the
ConstantScoreQueries work with a MultiSearcher (mainly because i odn't
know how well Filter's work with MultiSearchers) but you could give it a
try -- it certainly won't have a TooManyClauses problem.

: