lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rob Staveley (Tom)" <rstave...@seseit.com>
Subject RE: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:12:30 GMT
I guess the most expensive thing I'm doing from the perspective of Boolean
clauses is heavily using PrefixQuery.

I want my user to be able to find e-mail to, cc or from james@anydomain, so
I opted for PrefixQuery on James. Bearing in mind that this is causing me
grief with BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on my MultiSearcher, is there a
smarter approach that I should be adopting?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Staveley (Tom) [mailto:rstaveley@seseit.com]
Sent: 15 June 2006 14:51
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses on MultiSearcher

I've just added a 3rd index directory (i.e. 3rd IndexSearcher) to my
MultiSearcher and I'm getting BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses errors on queries
which were working happily on 2 indexes.

Here's an example query, which hopefully you'll find self-explanatory from
the XML structure.
--------8<--------
<composite-query analyzer='1'>
	<group required="true" prohibited="false">
		<group required="false" prohibited="false">
			<prefix field="to" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</prefix>
			<prefix field="cc" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</prefix>
			<prefix field="smtp-rcptto" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</prefix>
			<prefix field="from" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</prefix>
			<prefix field="smtp-mailfrom" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</prefix>
		</group>
		<parse field="body" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</parse>
		<parse field="subject" required="false"
prohibited="false">james</parse>
	</group>
</composite-query>

Note that there isn't even a range in there.

Do BooleanQueries not scale well across indexes?