lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Shivani Sawhney" <shiv...@netedgecomputing.com>
Subject RE: Asserting that a value must match the entire content of a field
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:58:24 GMT
Ok...

I'll explain the problem that I am facing with an example...

I have several fields for the documents that I index; one of the fields is
'title'. Now I have provided the user with a screen to search for documents
with a particular title. Let's assume that the value inputted by the user is
'Project Lifecycle', now I want only the documents with 'Project Lifecycle'
as the 'title' field value to be selected and not the documents with title
as 'Project Lifecycle Management', etc.
I have used exact match but then exact match for 'Project Lifecycle' in the
'title' field will also allow documents with 'Project Lifecycle Management'
as the field value to be short-listed, which I want to avoid.

How do I accomplish this?

Shivani

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 12:39 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Asserting that a value must match the entire content of a field

On Jun 12, 2006, at 2:04 AM, Shivani Sawhney wrote:
> Are you saying that there is no out-of-the-box way of doing this...?

Well, there are lots of techniques for all sorts of tricks with
Lucene.  What you're basically asking for is an untokenized, indexed
field and a TermQuery to find a document with an exact match for a
field.  Will that work for your situation?  If not, give us some more
details of why that doesn't work and we'll work from there.

	Erik