lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: fieldNorm
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 00:12:39 GMT
In English, fieldNorm essentially means:
"give term hits in shorter fields more weight/importance than those in longer fields".

I believe the implementation is  1/sqrt(number of terms in field).

Keep in mind that index-time boost is calculated into the field norm.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Seeta Somagani <Seeta.Somagani@xplana.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2006 8:00:22 PM
Subject: fieldNorm

Hi,

My simple search application is returning hits ordered by the default
relevance. But, I noticed that when for example searched for "what", the
first hit has considerably lesser occurrences of the term "what" than
those that follow. When I viewed the explanation for each document, all
the values made sense except the fieldNorm which is comparatively very
high for the topmost hit.

Can someone please explain how the fieldNorm factor is calculated?

Thanks so much.
Seeta