lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Compound / non-compound index files and SIGKILL
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:58:10 GMT
Rob,
My guess is that those are orphans that you cannot save and add to your index.  Who knows
what state things are in if you killed the JVM.  I think you could try editing your segments
file and manually adding all segments to it (e.g. _15djq from your example), and then try
optimizing the index, but if I had to bet, I'd bet this would just blow up in your face during
optimization.  The solution is to figure out why things hang and fix the culprit.

Another possibility might be to add ShutdownHooks to your application and try to stop indexing
gracefully.  However, with SIGKILL I'm afraid shutdown hooks don't get to run (double-check
that, I'm not certain).

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Rob Staveley (Tom) <rstaveley@seseit.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2006 6:17:11 AM
Subject: Compound / non-compound index files and SIGKILL

I've been indexing live data into a compound index from an MTA. I'm
resolving a bunch of problems unrelated to Lucene (disparate hangs in my
content handlers). When I get a hang, I typically need to kill my daemon,
alas more often than not using kill -9 (SIGKILL).

However, these SIGKILLs are leaving large temporary(?) files, which I guess
are non-compound index files transiently extracted from the working .cfs
files:

-rw-r--r--    1  373138432 Jun  2 13:42 _18hup.fdt
-rw-r--r--    1      5054464 Jun  2 13:42 _18hup.fdx
-rw-r--r--    1              426 Jun  2 13:42 _18hup.fnm

-rw-r--r--    1  457253888 Jun  2 09:22 _15djq.fdt
-rw-r--r--    1      6205440 Jun  2 09:22 _15djq.fdx
-rw-r--r--    1              426 Jun  2 09:21 _15djq.fnm

They are left intact after restarting my daemon. Presumably they are not
treated as being part of the compound index. I see no corresponding .cfs
file for them.

As a consequence of these - I suspect - I am getting a very large overall
disk requirement for my index, presumably because of replicated field data.
My guess is that the field data in the orphaned .fdt files needs to be
regenerated.

In another index directory from a previous test run (again with SIGKILLs), I
have 98 GB of index files, with only 12 BG devoted to compound files for the
field index (.cfs). The rest of the disk space is used by orphaned
uncompounded index files; I see 51 GB devoted to uncompounded field data
(.fdt), 13 BG devoted to term positions (.prx) and 13 BG devoted to term
frequencies (.frq).

Here's my question:

How can I attempt to merge these orphaned into the compound index, using
IndexWriter.addIndexes(), or would I be foolish attempting this?