lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From karl wettin <ka...@snigel.net>
Subject Re: Modifying the stored norm type
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:13:00 GMT
On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 18:01 +0200, Paul Elschot wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 12:02, Marcus Falck wrote:

> encodeNorm method of the Similarity class will encode my boost value
> into a single byte decimal number. And I will loose a lot of
> resolution and will get severe rounding errors.

> Are 256 different values enough for your case?

Marcus is trying to use the norms to enforce results in chronological
order when matching a TB-sized corpus. He can't get any speed by sorting
on a date field.

Here is an idea:

Never delete documents. Use unsafe document number as system clock. Make
sure TermDocs always return references in reversed chronological order
and write a HitCollector that does not re-order.

That should work, right?