lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Van Nguyen" <vngu...@ur.com>
Subject RE: Use one or more indexes?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:46:00 GMT
I have a question in regards to the same topic:

If I have three different database queries, should I just create a
separate index for each query?

Or should I just add all the results I get back from each of the query
into one big index.  Will there be any issues with documents having
different number of fields, documents that don't have a particular
field, etc??

Thanks,

Van

-----Original Message-----
From: Liao Xuefeng [mailto:askxuefeng@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:53 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Use one or more indexes?

hi, I'm new to lucene.

Now I want to add full-text search for my website to search articles,
images
and bbs topics. I'm not sure to use only one index to search all types
of
these, or create 3 indexes for each of type.

If I use only one index, do I have to add a 'type' field to identify
document type? and how to filter the specified type?
If I use 3 indexes, is there more memory & cpu time cost?

Thanks in advance, for any help & suggestions.

Best regards,
  Xuefeng

Email: askxuefeng@gmail.com