lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Streeton" <mike.stree...@ardentia.co.uk>
Subject RE: search performance benchmarks
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:58:57 GMT
We recently ran some benchmarks on Linux with 4 xeon cpus and 2gb of
heap (not that this was needed). We managed to easily get 1000 term
based queries a second, this including the query execution time and
retrieving the top 10 documents from the index. We did notice some
contention as adding more clients (threads) kept the same average
execution time but increased the max processing time for some queries.
So the addition of clients caused a queue to build up, but the results
were still sub second with 100 clients, simultaneously executing queries
and using the times 10 rule, this would represent 1000 connected users.

Mike

www.ardentia.com the home of NetSearch
-----Original Message-----
From: Wang, Jeff [mailto:jwang@emptoris.com]
Sent: 26 June 2006 19:50
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: search performance benchmarks

Performance varies a lot, and depends upon the number of indexes, the
number of fields, and the CPU/memory configuration.  For myself, a 65Gb
source indexed to 1Gb (or so) returns single term queries (oh yeah, the
query makeup also matters a lot) in sub seconds on a Intel dual
processor (each is 3.6Ghz I think.)  I frankly haven't tested out
scalability yet.

Jeff
Emptoris, Inc.