lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating index if there is a database changes
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 16:37:27 GMT
On 5/3/06, Kiran Joisher <kiran.joisher@recreatesolutions.com> wrote:
> I m working on a project where I will use lucene to make a search engine on
> a database. I am new to lucene. I wrote a test program which indexes a table
> and searches the same.. but now I m stuck on how to update the index in case
> a database change occurs.. I need some help on this topic...

Solr handles incremental updating:
  - overwriting documents that already exist in the collection
  - graceful migration from old IndexSearchers to new IndexSearchers
so that the changes are visible

Solr does not yet handle automatically grabbing stuff from a
database... you need to write something that grabs the changes and
then sends those changes to Solr (via XML over HTTP-POST)

-Yonik