lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Beady Geraghty" <beadygerag...@gmail.com>
Subject out-of-memory when searching, paging does not work.
Date Sun, 14 May 2006 16:07:43 GMT
I have an out-of-memroy error when returning  many hits.

I am still on Lucene 1.4.3

I have a simple term query.  It returned 899810 documents.
I try to retrieve the name of each document and nothing else
and I ran out of memory.

Instead of getting the names all at once, I tried to query again after
every 10,000 document.
I close the index reader, index searcher, and the fsDir and re-query
for every 10000 documents.  This still doesn't work.

>From another entry in the forum, it appears that the information about
the hits that I have skipped over are still kept even though I don't
access them.  Am I understanding it correctly that if I start accessing
from the 400000th documents onwards, some information about the 0-399999
documents are still cached even though I have skipped over those.
Is there a way to get the file name (and perhaps other information) of the
remaining
documents ?

(I tried a different term query that returned a hit size of 400000, and I
was able
to get the names of them all without re-quering)

I think that I see someone mentioned about  clearing the hit cache ,
though I don't how this is done.

Thank you in advance for any hints on dealing with this.