lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Charles Mi" <charle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: preloading / "warming up" the index
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:55:44 GMT
Thanks for the advice guys... i'm still not entirely clear on what a search
causes Lucene to do with respect to warming up/caching portions of the index
in memory.

If I warm up lucene using a search for "apple",  does Lucene load the entire
inverted index into Memory, or just the part of the index that contains the
entry for "apple" ?   Basically I'd like to make sure that the entire
inverted index (or as much as possible) is preloaded into memory, so if I
issue a subsequent search for "microsoft", it will be fast.    Does Lucene
have any mechanism for preloading the inverted index into memory?   Also is
there a way to figure out what percentage of lucene's data storage is
occupied by the inverted index, and what percentage is occupied by the other
info, like storing the documents' field values and such.

Thanks!
Charles