lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene search optimization
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 20:58:10 GMT

: Fuzzy searching against this property takes around 3 seconds, which is
: way too much for what I plan to do, so I am considering the possible

whenever anyone has a question about how to speed up a search, and the
current amount of time the search takes is more then a second, there are a
few questions i allways want to ask:

 1) what method exactly on the Searcher interface are you using the
    execute the search?
 2) what exactly are you timing? (the time the search method call takes?,
    the time it takes you to iterate over the results? etc...)
 3) are you sorting by any particular field?
 4) are you reusing the Searcher instance for more then one query?   are
    you timing more then one query and taking the average?

-Hoss