lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Benjamin Stein" <...@shadowtv.com>
Subject Removing search results that fall within a time range
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 21:38:04 GMT
I have a requirement to only return one result for all documents whose
timestamps fall within N seconds of one another. (where timestamp is a
field and N is an integer).

For example, Document A is timestamped "12:00:00" and Document B has
timestamp "12:00:30", Document B should be discarded.  On the other
hand, if Document B has timestamp "12:01:00" then I should return both
(assuming 30 < N < 59 seconds).

Similarly, if Documents A, B, and C have timestamps "12:00:00",
"12:00:30", and "12:01:00" respectively, only Document A should be
returned (because B is close to A, and C is close to B).

If it helps to simplify things, we can assume results are sorted by
time.  Also, I can apply logic at index time or at search time.

Any suggestions?  This is a pretty tough concept to search the archives
for...

--Ben