lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Web services for querying and return of results
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 17:51:25 GMT

On May 23, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Marc Dauncey wrote:

> Has anyone used this as a delivery mechanism for Lucene query results?
>
> A quick search on Google reveals a Lucene Web Service project on
> SourceForge, but what i want to know is whether people on the list
> know of any big drawbacks, specifically, how well could I expect
> this to perform, as compared to passing back a Hits object to clients.
>
> The advantages I can see advocating SOAP are light coupling of
> search clients and servers, plus ease of consumption with lots of
> systems, devices, cocoon etc.
>
> Does anyone use this in their application and how have you found it?

The web applications I've built around Lucene mostly all support "web
services" (lower cased).  Atom, RSS, OpenSearch, and Solr's custom
XML all qualify.  I'm currently leveraging Solr in a Ruby on Rails
front-end and it is working very well.  SOAP works too, but I prefer
a lighter-weight mechanism.  With all of these, care must be taken to
only send back a paged subset of matching documents, of course.

There are many factors involved in determining how any kind of web
service wrapper around Lucene will perform, so its hard to say.  The
real question is: does it perform well enough in your environment?

	Erik