lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "George Washington" <gws...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Encryption
Date Sun, 07 May 2006 07:37:59 GMT
Thank you all for your replies (and Otis and John for your lively sense of
humour as well).
I obviously accept the need to encrypt the index, but am not sure that using
the Windows (or Linux) file system encryption will solve the problem. My
understanding is that both cannot be under my application control, they need
to be part of the site policy. Hence cannot be relied upon in all instances.
I want the user to decide if encryption is required and then enable it
knowing that it will be done.
If my understanding above is correct, the other alternative is to use the
Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) to encrypt (and decode) the index on the
fly. This however is more complex, and where I was hoping your knowledge of
Lucene could help.
I suspect it would require careful choice of positioning of the encryption
and decoding calls so as not to interfere for instance with segment
optimisation and merging and many other such complications. Searching
through this mailing list has revealed no interest in encryption at all.
Any suggestion as to how JCE could be embedded in Lucene? (or whether I am
on the right or wrong track!)
Thanks
Victor