lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <Tim.Wri...@informa.com>
Subject Search oddities
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 14:18:32 GMT
It appears that I was confused about the way analyzers are working. I
assumed that a typical analyzer would just remove hyphens and treat the
phrase as a space. We're just using StandardAnalyzer.

When we search (using QueryParser) for the phrase "t-mobile" (including
quotes) we're getting results back which only have the phrase "mobile"
in them. I would assume the analyzer would convert this to the "t
mobile" (again, in quotes) and would only return documents containing
that phrase.

Oddly, however, if we search for "pay-tv", we only get back documents
that actually have the phrase "pay tv" or "pay-tv" - nothing which just
has "pay" or "tv".

I'm not quite sure why "t-mobile" is behaving differently to "pay-tv".
If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks,

Tim.
The information contained in this email message may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of viruses,
no responsibility is accepted by Informa for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt
or use thereof.  Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational reasons and
in accordance with lawful business practices.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return and delete the message
and any attachments.  Further enquiries/returns can be sent to postmaster@informa.com